No incidents reported
After exchanging RAM, doing a Microcode update and a full BIOS update the system is now operational and all servers are running. We apologize for the downtime today.
We are still working through the issue and hope to have it solved soon
The CPU microcode update unfortunately failed and caused a kernel lockup so we now need to implement a workaround
We are installing the fresh RAM and performing a microcode update for the system CPU
We are currently still waiting for our technician to get back to us with a diagnosis
We are currently waiting for a technician to become available and work on the affected system. There is some unknown delay at the moment in getting hands on the server in question.
We believe we may have identified the issue as a bad RAM module. We will try to exchange the RAM for a new stick and see if that helps.
We have an outage on a host in the USA and are currently investigating the cause.
The networking issue has been resolved and full connectivity has been restored to all affected servers.
We have detected a network outage on a single host in our Helsinki datacenter. About 37 VPS servers are affected by this outage. We are investigating the issue and hope to have it resolved soon.